Monday, September 21, 2009

Pamela Soldwedel – Inspiring Artist

The idea that got me into school four years ago was that I could become a sculptor and work in large scale stone carving. Though I have adapted my initial interest to include (and for the most part focus on) smaller scale metal work, I still love the idea of chipping away at chunks of rocks. As I learned to research current and former artists as a part of my education, I ran across Pamela Soldwedel, a very inspiring stone sculptor – in her late seventies!

image

Image from: Artist Statement of Pamela Soldwedel
http://www.soldwedelsculptures.com/about_pamela_soldwedel.html

Pamela mainly works in swirling organic forms that represent an oceanic theme. Although I found her when I was researching stone work, I have more recently discovered that she also works in metal.

I find the shapes and movement in her pieces endlessly fascinating. The swirling, undulating forms carry you around the piece, but seem almost M.C. Escher impossible at times. Ishtar III is particularly stunning in this way. Every curve seems to draw you into the next and around the entire piece. I am also impressed by how she can take a heavy solid material like stone or metal and make it look as though it got caught in mid-motion or make it translucent as is the case in her alabaster work. Her pieces tend to have a light, dancing quality that completely transforms the material for me.

                         image

Image from: "Ishtar III" a sculpture by Pamela Soldwedel http://www.soldwedelsculptures.com/ishtar_3.html

With images from her website, I was able to recreate this piece in plaster for my first sculpture class. Sadly, it will be many years for me still before I am able to recreate it well.

  image

Image from: "Mantra II" a sculpture by Pamela Soldwedel http://www.soldwedelsculptures.com/mantrall.html

I also enjoy, and am inspired by, her mixed media work. Pamela puts stone and metal together in a way that seems like they were born together. In thinking about the materials, it makes a lot of sense to see them together like this. Metal is dug out of rock in the first place, and I love how she brings the two back together.

 image

Image from: "Sedna" a sculpture by Pamela Soldwedel
http://www.soldwedelsculptures.com/sedna.html

Finally, my favorite bit of information about Pamela, is that she has been working in this medium for decades. Despite her age, you can tell that she is still going strong and still evolving her work. It would be a dream come true to someday meet her and possibly even work with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment